Monday, June 21, 2010

Day 1 Easton, Washington (91 miles plus my first bonus miles)

We started out the Big Ride from Seattle Pacific University. The first part of the ride was along the Burke Gilman Trail. I pulled a Patty and went straight instead of turning left off the Burke Gilman onto the Samamish River Trail. She did the same thing in 2008. I didn't have a cue sheet with me either. Oh Well! I was the last one to the first rest stop at Marymoor Park. Once I was out on the road things went a lot smoother. We rode to North Bend via Snoqualmie and then onto I-90. I was the first to start the climb on the freeway but then my last minute decision to go on the ride and not being able to train caught up with me. The climb was a little difficult but I know that I will ride quickly into shape. The first few days may be a little rough.

When we got up to Snoqualmie Pass we were shuttled from exit 54 to exit 62. The DOT isn't allowing bikes on that part of I-90 right now because of blasting that is going on. They are in the process of widening the road. So what do I see when I get to the shuttle loading area but my own truck. Chris (Patty's daughter's boyfriend) drove me to the unloading area. He and Emily were helping to shuttle riders. I got into camp and there was Janet manning the snack table. I went and found Patty (she was elbow deep in beans). Dinner was fajitas and all the fixins. Patty, Janet, Liz, Liz's husband, Bob and two riders from 2005 made dinner. Bruce and Kathleen showed up right around dinner time. It was good to see everyone.

Soon after dinner everyone crashed out. Patty took off but I will see her next week in Montana. She will be riding a few days there over the fourth of July weekend with us.





No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave your comments, thoughts, feedback, and other messages to Chuck. Your comments are directly forwarded to his email.