Saturday, June 19, 2010

The Decision

I am embarking for the second time on what I thought back in 2008 was the trip of a lifetime. In 2008 I had the privilege of riding my bike across the country with 35 other crazy, lovable, courageous and sometimes demented people. The American Lung Association's Big Ride Across America (BRAA) 2008 alumni are now family to me. I got to spend 48 days with these folks and I had the time of my life. I also met the love of my life, "Patty Harm" a fellow rider from Puyallup, Washington. At the end of the ride I went home to Frederick, Maryland and she went back to Puyallup, Washington. A year later (2009) I moved to Puyallup to be with her.

Another year has passed and it is now 2010. I was working a job that was driving me crazy and required me to get up at around 1:30 in the morning to get to work. I worked every weekend and every holiday. Patty and I never saw each other. Less than two weeks ago, Patty said to me, "Chuck quit your job, go on the BRAA again. You will clear the cob webs from you mind and come back at the end of the summer ready to start something new. Something that you will love and that will have meaning to you."

I thought she was kidding but she wasn't. So here I am riding in BRAA 2010. I am truly blessed to have Patty and the BRAA 2008 alumni in my life. Without your support this opportunity would not be possible. Also, I am looking forward to spending the next 48 days with the 25 new Big Riders. We will have a wonderful time and at the same time raise money for such a worthy cause. I did not keep a blog the first time around but with Patty and Akira's (Patty's friend who was the administrator her blog in 2008) help, I will keep this blog up to date as much as possible.

"Eat, sleep and ride", Chuck



Patty and Chuck at the Old Post Office in Washington DC at the end of Big Ride 2008

1 comment:

  1. Go Chuck GoGo Chuck Go Go Chuck Go Go Chuck Go Go Chuck Go Go Chuck Go Go Chuck Go Go Chuck Go Go Chuck Go Go Chuck Go Go Chuck Go Go Chuck Go Go Chuck Go Go Chuck Go!
    Pam

    ReplyDelete

Please leave your comments, thoughts, feedback, and other messages to Chuck. Your comments are directly forwarded to his email.